What is linear regression?
A linear regression is a linear approach to model the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more explanatory variables — the independent variables. We can make a distinction between:
- Simple linear regression: has one explanatory variable
- Multiple linear regression: has multiple explanatory variables
In a linear regression the unknown parameters are estimated from the data. From a statistical point of view, it is a great tool to discover the impact of an independent variable on another, keeping other independent variables constant. However, in the world of applied machine learning, it is a useful tool for predicting a quantitative response.
Articles about linear regression
- Linear regression on Wikipedia
- An Introduction to Linear Regression on StatBook
- A visual primer on Towards Data Science
- A visual explanation to Linear Regression
- Linear Regression with R in Visual Studio Magazine
- Linear Regression with Python and scikit-learn at Towards Data Science